Skip to content

Looking after your home

If you are struggling to keep your home clean you may benefit from domestic support. You can find local organisations that can help you by entering words such as home care, or cleaning in the search box on the home page of this website, along with your postcode.

Take a look at The home equipment finder for equipment to help you move safely and securely around your home.

Maintaining your home

A number of organisations can help you to make small changes or do other practical jobs around your home, to make your life easier and safer.

  • Search ‘handyperson’ to find a list of organisations that could help.

  • Use the uktsa website to find a recommended local decorator, handyman, plumber, electrician, or builder.

If you are struggling with stairs or accessing essential rooms in your house a home adaptation or change may be necessary. Consider talking to a home improvement agency to find out about the support they can offer.

Each of the borough and district councils help older and/or disabled residents adapt their homes to meet their health needs and promote independence and council staff can advise on options for grants and finance, as well as arranging the works.

To see if you are eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant, contact your local district or borough council. They will explain the process to you which may include a referral for an assessment from an Occupational Therapist to check your circumstances and see what changes you need.

Financial information

If you are struggling to find the money to heat or repair your home Citizens Advice can help you explore the benefits or financial help you may be able to access including things like the Winter Fuel Payment.

The Society of Later Life Advisors (SOLLA) can also provide help and advice about the financial issues in later life and provide a financial advisor near you.

Keeping warm in winter

Action Surrey can provide information and advice on how to keep a home warm and grants that may be available for replacement boilers and insulation.